WE CUSTOMIZE YOUR CROWN TO YOUR PREFERENCES
If you have teeth that are cracked, a large existing filling or decay that’s made a tooth unable to hold a filling, our best cosmetic treatment option is likely a dental crown. A crown is a custom-made cap that holds your tooth together by covering the healthy part of your own natural tooth. Crowns create a natural look that is nearly indistinguishable from an ordinary tooth.
Most of our crowns are custom made in our office and are often ready the same-day. If we use an outsourced lab to make your crown, the process may take two to three weeks. Should your crown need to be made in a laboratory, Dr. Kokel’s staff will make a comfortable-fitting temporary crown for you to wear until your permanent crown is ready for placement. We offer several types of crowns.
Based on your needs and preferences we will make our recommendations which may include:
- Porcelain Fused to Metal Crown (PFM) – A PFM crown has a porcelain layer baked on top of a gray metal substructure. The porcelain crown comes in a variety of shades so we can match your natural tooth color, and we polish it to reflect light just like a natural tooth.
- Porcelain Fused to Zirconia (PFZ) – Similar to the PFM, except the zirconia substructure is white. Many patients prefer this option because there is no grey metal that shows. The price for this option is the same as the PFM version.
- All-Zirconia Crown – This type of crown is made completely of white zirconia, with no porcelain baked on top. The crown is good for patients who grind their teeth because it has no layers to chip off. However, the zirconia cannot be polished to the same shine as the porcelain.
- All-Gold Crown (CVC) – A gold crown is very durable and always an option, especially in areas where other types of crowns will not work well.
- Lithium Disilicate – Reflects light most like a natural tooth, making it the most aesthetic crown available. This crown is a good option when the tooth needing the crown is noticeable to others.
- Stainless Steel Crown – Used mostly on the primary teeth of pediatric dental patients or as a temporary crown.
- Same Day Dental Crown (CAD-CAM) – Now due to advances in digital technology, we can make crowns in our office while you wait. With digital impressions, there is no more need for those messy impressions of the past. We can very accurately fit your crown usually within just a few hours.
Porcelain Crowns Before & After