A dental crown, or cap, is something a dentist in Leesburg at Dr.Deidra Bird Kokel’s office can install to make a dramatic difference in your smile. Whether this custom-made appliance is for a better bite, to protect the remnants of a tooth or for sheer appearance, your Leesburg, VA dentist can create a crown to match your individual needs and preferences.
Why Might I Need a Crown?
In most cases, you will need a crown if you have a cracked tooth or have a tooth with a large filling that cannot be refilled. A cap is made to fit the unique contours of your teeth and will be placed over the tooth in question to hold it together.
What Varieties of Crowns are Available?
We want to be your first choice of dentist in Leesburg when you need a crown, so we offer many state-of-the-art options.
- PFM crown: a porcelain layer is baked, or fused, onto a grey or gold metal substructure. The benefit to using a PFM is that today, we can match the color of your natural teeth very closely to the porcealin , then polish the crown to make it indistinguishable to others and it is very stong
- PFZ crown, a layer of porcelain is fused to zirconia, a man-made, white material with incredible strength. You may prefer the PFZ crown over the PFM because of it’s white base. Again, we can closely match the shade of porcelain to your natural teeth color.
- all-zirconia crown: is, as the name suggests, made only of white zirconia (no porcelain layers that nighttime teeth grinders may chip). However, zirconia cannot be as highly polished as porcelain.
- all-gold crown: is, again as the name implies, made solely of gold. This natural metal is very durable and in some cases is the option best tolerated by the mouth. If other types of crowns won’t work, an all-gold crown may still be an option.
- Lithium disilicate crown: is often the choice when the look of a tooth matters the most. The material reflects light most like a natural tooth.This can be made in our office in one visit.
- stainless steel crown: used to be the norm, but today it is used mostly only on the primary teeth of pediatric dental patients, if needed, before the teeth naturally fall out.
How Will I Know Which Crown is Right for Me?
Your Leesburg dentist will discuss your needs, options and preferences in full with you so you can make an informed decision. Just remember, today’s crowns and our skilled dentists mean you’ll be back to a great smile in no time!